Tuesday 18 January 2011

A random conversation, or one that may have implications for the sericulture industry

He mostly spoke in Tamil with a few smattering of English, as I spoke in English with a lot of gesticulations and facial expressions to make myself understood. He said he was a silk weaver. I said I was in favour of Ahimsa Silk (=silk without violence), where the silk-worm is removed without any harm done to it, then the silk is extracted from the cocoon. He laughed and said that it made sense that I should talk so as I was from Gujarat, the land of Gandhi. He said something along the lines of ,"..it was okay for him to practice 'ahimsa' for the purpose intended back then.." I said that we should refrain from killing anything in the spirit of universal brotherhood. He finally seemed to agree, I think.

Related link on Ahimsa Silk:
http://jay-parkhe.posterous.com/ahimsa-silk-taking-the-violence-out-of-silk-i

No comments:

Post a Comment